How to Make a Product Description in an Online Store for SEO
We offer effective and time-tested tips on how to create a product description in an online store for SEO optimization of the site.
One of the important functions of product description in an online store is to increase the position of the site in organic (natural) search results. To generate traffic from a search engine, you should make descriptions of individual products and product categories according to the principles of SEO – search engine optimization. This technique is a little different from the creation of classic advertising texts. What is it and how to implement it?
Creating product descriptions and product category descriptions in an online store is required not only to encourage the user to purchase, but also to increase attendance and improve the positioning of the site. Thanks to the description in the online store, which contains relevant phrases, users will quickly find your site after queries in the search engine.
How to make effective product descriptions from an SEO perspective so that they are user-friendly and search engine algorithms? Discover 9 effective techniques!
To increase the position of the site in the SERPs, the product descriptions in the online store should contain important phrases from the point of view of SEO, that is, those that users often enter into the search engine window. Thanks to the presence of relevant phrases, Google will find your site valuable, display it in the results, and the user will be able to find it.
You can use Google or Yandex tools, Keywordtool keyword planner, KWFinder or other products to find the phrases you need. These tools show:
- average monthly number of searches for a given phrase;
- the potential of the phrase in terms of SEO and the degree of complexity of its positioning;
- Related keywords, such as long-tail keyword phrases
In the context of key phrases in the description of products and the description of categories, it is worth adhering to several rules. They will help to optimize your text without the risk of "re-spamming".
Try to follow the following rules:
- average concentration of key phrases: it is impossible to allow the saturation of content with phrases, because for such actions search engines can impose a penalty (filter) on the page and lower its position in the search results;
- the use of long phrases that contain several words and define the user's expectations in detail, for example, "a black evening dress of a large size" instead of an "evening dress";
- Use phrases in URLs, titles, and image descriptions on pages.
- use of additional phrases and words, for example, "cheap", "fast", "price", etc.
No searches for a phrase that matches a product or category? Don't give up! In niche industries, it may happen that the phrase is not popular, but if you are sure that it suits your product – feel free to use it from your own experience.
Are there many similar products in your store? Don't copy their descriptions! Each product and product category must have unique and original content. It's not an easy task, but it certainly pays off. Why? Banal copying of content from the sites of manufacturers and competitors can lead to a decrease in your position in search results.
Unique descriptions will help to stand out among competitors and arouse the interest of users. Remember that you are creating SEO product descriptions not only for robots, but above all for real customers. All your texts should be informative and correct both in terms of grammar and spelling.
Want to learn how to make effective SEO descriptions in an online store? Study the content on competitors' websites. Enter a phrase in the search engine that describes your product, product category or store, and then analyze the content on the pages of the top 10 search results.
This analysis allows you to evaluate:
- what should be the length of the description;
- what information should be included in the content;
- what keywords competitors use;
- how content is created in competing stores.
By analyzing the descriptions of competing stores, you can easily improve your content. You can also use professional tools for this, but they are paid and require skills.
Remember, you're not just doing descriptions for SEO, but for users as well. For descriptions of goods and categories of goods, we advise you to use a structured and concise format that allows you to include specific information in the form of subsections.
What's more, users usually "scan" text diagonally rather than reading it. Studies confirm that at the beginning of the text, the reader's vision moves horizontally, then shifts lower and also shifts horizontally, but in a smaller area. At the very end, users view the text vertically on the left. Thus, the gaze creates an F-shaped or inverted L-shaped heat map. This information should be used when creating a store description structure and use:
- Markers that grab users' attention and show important snippets.
- headings: in the case of short texts only headings H1, in longer texts - also H2;
- semantic division into paragraphs, which facilitates the understanding of what is written.
SEO-oriented descriptions of products and categories in your online store are important, but it is worth supplementing them with attractive photos that allow the buyer to study the product in detail without seeing it live. Follow standard photo requirements:
- white (neutral) background;
- the highest quality of photos, which is provided by your equipment;
- the right context: the best pictures of goods that reflect their real use, for example, furniture in the room, clothes on models and people, household appliances in the kitchen;
- 360-degree photos representing the product from all sides;
- An alternate description that contains the keyword phrase.
You can supplement the product description with videos demonstrating its capabilities or containing detailed photo and video reviews. They work well, among other things, for kitchen appliances, including combines, dishwashers or washing machines.
Specifications aren't everything. When creating product descriptions in an online store for SEO, as with any aspect of marketing, it is important to focus on the specific benefits that the buyer will receive when buying the selected product. Before you start creating descriptions for positioning, think about who your target audience is, what challenges they face, and how your product can help them (user intent).
See examples of interesting product descriptions:
- "Are you tired of wasting time cleaning the apartment? (Problem) Choose our robot vacuum cleaner (Solution), thanks to which you can find time for yourself. (Advantage)."
- "Sleep a few minutes longer (Advantage) by buying our windshield de-icing (Solution), which will make you forget about annoying window cleaning in the morning once and for all (Problem)."
For search engine optimization, you can not only make product descriptions, but also implement elements on the website that can increase the conversion rate and thus affect the positioning. What messages are we talking about? Here are some examples:
- Calls to action placed on bright buttons, such as "Buy now!", "Add to cart", "Go to the best offers", "Take advantage of free shipping".
- Slogans that support conversion, such as "Buy and pick up in the store in an hour."
- Slogans informing about discounts and promotions, for example, "Free delivery only 24 hours", "Take advantage of the sale - a limited number of products".
Did you know that user-generated content (unboxing and product reviews) is one of the factors influencing a buyer's purchasing decision? According to Gemius' European E-Commerce 2020 report, 48% of shoppers pay attention to other users' opinions about a particular store before making a purchase.
Therefore, actively encourage buyers to share their product reviews and opinions about them. Thanks to this, you will get the so-called user-generated content, which is most directly related to SEO and can affect the ranking of the store in search engines and the percentage of conversions.
Users and your potential customers pay attention not only to the content on the site, but also to its performance. Therefore, when optimizing an online store for SEO, it is important to consider:
- the speed of loading the product page;
- the appearance of the product description on stationary and mobile devices, the implementation of an adaptive site or a mobile version of the site;
- Eliminate or minimize annoying ads (such as pop-ups)
- stability of the website display: avoid situations when the buyer wants to add the product to the cart, but the click opens the advertisement due to the incorrect appearance of the page.
Also remember that the user is used to putting off the products he likes in the online store for later. Cart access and the registration panel are usually located in the upper right corner of the browser, and the add to cart buttons are located at the top right of the product card. It is not necessary to place such familiar elements in another place, so as not to confuse and scare off the client.
Descriptions of products and categories of goods in the online store have many functions, and SEO promotion of the site is only one of them. Therefore, when creating descriptions, remember not only about keywords, but also about the user's expectations and the problems that the products presented in the catalog can solve.
The ultimate goal of creating selling content is to form the image of an "expert", increase conversions and sales. Use comprehensive measures aimed at both people's expectations and search engine algorithms – this will help you improve positioning and increase the profit of the store as a whole.